Housing & Redevelopment Authority
Members of the public may monitor the meeting by watching the live stream or electronically from a remote location.
The City of Northfield has an electronic comment (eComment) feature for HRA meetings. eComment provides an easy way for residents to add their voices to the process and makes participation in public meetings convenient when it may be difficult to the attend the meeting in person.
Once the agenda is published, the eComment link will be active. Residents can review agenda items details, indicate their position on an item and leave feedback by clicking on the eComment tab on the HRA meeting page:
Comments may be submitted until noon on the day of the meeting.
In the Council Chambers, an induction loop system is provided for hearing device users. To use:
- Someone with no hearing aids will need a loop receiver with an earpiece or headset.
- Someone with hearing aids and NO T-Coil will need a loop receiver with an earpiece or headset.
- Someone with hearing aids and have T-Coil in the hearing aid will change the setting of the hearing aid from microphone to T-Coil. They will NOT need a receiver as the T-Coil in their hearing aid is the loop receiver.
- Not all hearing aids have T-Coils because of the size or money, so they are limited.
|James Crow||Member||December 31, 2024|
|Sandra Gerdes||Vice-Chair||December 31, 2023|
|Jayne Hager Dee||Secretary||December 31, 2023|
|VACANT||Member||December 31, 2026|
|Brent Nystrom||Chair||December 31, 2027|
|Maelynn Thomas||Member||December 31, 2025|
|George Zuccolotto||Member - Council||December 31, 2027|
|Maria Hegland||Youth Representative (non-voting member)||2023-2024 school year|
|Jaden Hietala||Youth Representative (non-voting member)||2023-2024 school year|
Contacting the commission
If you have questions or comments, you can email the commission. Each member will receive your email. When replying to your email, a commission member cannot reply to all members, only to you. This avoids violating the open meeting law.
For general information about the board, please contact a staff liaison. Also, if you have questions or comments for the board, contact a staff liaison and they will assist.
|Melissa Hanson||Housing Coordinator||507-645-3047|
|Kari Bonde||Administrative Associate||507-645-3036|
Special meetings are occasionally called. The City of Northfield Housing and Redevelopment Authority's (HRA) mission is to provide a sufficient supply of adequate, safe, and sanitary dwellings in Northfield. The primary goals of the HRA are to:
- Protect the health, safety and welfare of the citizens of Northfield
- Clear and redevelop blighted areas
- Perform said duties according to the city’s Comprehensive Plan
- Remedy the shortage of housing for low and moderate income residents
- Redevelop blighted areas in situations in which private enterprise would not act without government participation or subsidies
The HRA also partners with other organizations, such as the Cannon River Community Land Trust, to implement affordable housing initiatives in Northfield.
The commission consists of five members appointed by the mayor and approved by the City Council. Each member serves a five-year term. There is no term limit. Members do not receive monetary compensation.
The mayor recommends applicants to the City Council based on their interest in affordable housing and redevelopment issues, along with willingness to serve and background.
Housing Study information
Workforce Housing Assessment - A study was completed as a Capstone project for a group of students from the Humphrey School of Public Affairs and presented to the HRA Board on August 10, 2017.