Water conservation is an important topic for all residents and businesses. The two main areas of water conservation that concern the city are
- Protecting our natural resources
- Passing on monetary savings to the consumer
The city is actively doing its part to protect the leading water supply for future citizens of Northfield with the Wellhead Protection Committee. The committee considers ways to protect ground water, researches potential contaminant sources and provides information to the public about protecting our valuable water resources.
Water Conservation Rebate
The Water Conservation Rebate is an incentive for property owners to conserve water. Rebates are available for the cost of installing high efficient clothes washers, showerheads, toilets, valve toilets for commercial users and weather-based irrigation controllers.
Once the appropriate application and documents are submitted and approved, and the installation of the item is verified, the city will issue a credit on the applicant’s utility bill account.
All holders of utility accounts in the city are eligible to apply for the water conservation rebates.
Items that rebates are available
Rebates are available for the following items at the following rate:
- Clothes washer - Energy Star Certified - $25 per unit
- Showerheads - WaterSense® Label - $25 per unit
- Toilets - WaterSense® Label - $50 per unit
- Flushometer valve toilets for commercial use - WaterSense® Label - $50 per unit
- Weather-based irrigation controllers - WaterSense® Label - $75 per controller
Potential drought conditions in Minnesota
U.S. Drought Monitor Minnesota (from USDA)