Human Rights Award
About the award
The Human Rights Award was established to grant recognition to an area individual, group, or organization that has contributed to the advancement of human rights in Northfield. The Commission seeks to find a balanced and diverse slate of nominees that contribute locally to the cause of human rights in a variety of ways.
Announcement of recipient
Northfield Human Rights Award will be announced and presented at the annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Community Celebration in January of each year.
- Northfield Human Rights Award plaque provided to the recipient
- Name inscribed on a “Northfield Human Rights Award” historical recipient plaque located at City Hall
- News release and photo of the recipient will be given to the local media for publication
The following eligibility requirements apply:
- Nominees must live, work, or conduct business in Northfield during the nomination year
- Nominee services must be either voluntary or above-and-beyond a paid positions usual job responsibilities
- Members of the Mayor and Council, City employees and the Human Rights Commission are not eligible to receive this award
Who may nominate
Anyone can make a nomination.
The Human Rights Commission will select the recipient.
The selection is based on exceptional contributions to the City of Northfield and the community in the following areas:
- An area individual, group, or organization that has contributed to the advancement of human rights in the City of Northfield.
- The definition of human rights shall include protection from discrimination because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, familial status, disability, public assistance status, age, and sexual orientation as defined in the Minnesota Human Rights Act.
- The Commission seeks to find a balanced and diverse slate of nominees that contribute locally to the cause of human rights in a variety of ways.
|Employees of Laura Baker Services Association||2020|
|Community Action Center||2019|
|Father Dennis Dempsey||2017|
|Sharon Gates Hull||2014|
|Catalyst Foundation - Caroline Ticarro-Parker and Scott Parker, co-founders||2012|
|Cheick M. Cherif Keita||2009|
|All Flex - Anne Lundstrom, president||2003|
|Manger Inn Partners in Service||2001|