You can vote early by using an absentee ballot, instead of voting in person at the polling place on Election Day. You can vote absentee by mail or in person.
2022 election dates
- November 8, 2022 - General Election Day
- September 23 to November 7 (General Election)
General Election sample ballots for Northfield precincts
(Click on Ward, Precinct to access your ballot)
|Ward, Precinct||Ward, Precinct||Ward, Precinct||Ward, precinct|
|Ward 1, Precinct 1||Ward 1, Precinct 2||Ward 2, Precinct 1||Ward 2, Precinct 2|
|Ward 3, Precinct 1||Ward 3, Precinct 2||Ward 4, Precinct 1||Ward 4, Precinct 2|
Where to vote for in person absentee voting
Northfield City Hall - 2nd Floor Training Room
801 Washington St.
Northfield, MN 55057
Absentee voting hours
Absentee voting hours at Northfield City Hall:
- September 23 through November 7 (General Election)
- Northfield City Hall
- Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.
- Fridays 8 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. (If residents would like to vote via absentee on Friday afternoons when City Hall is closed, Rice County residents can go to Rice County Government Center in Faribault and Dakota County residents can go to Dakota County Government Center in Hastings.)
- Saturday, November 5, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (must arrive by 2:45 p.m.)
- Monday, November 7, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (must arrive by 4:45 p.m.)
What to expect when voting absentee in person
Arrive at the city offices during one of the above-designated times. Please be sure to arrive at least 15 minutes before the closing time so that you have time to complete the required paperwork and cast your vote.
The election official will provide you with absentee ballot application to complete. You will need your MN ID or drivers license number if you have one and the last four digits of your social security number.
If you are not already registered to vote under your current name and at your current address, you will need to fill out a voter registration application and show proof of residence.
The City of Northfield absentee location serves as the Northern Service Center for Rice County. In addition to ballots for all City of Northfield residents, ballots are available for all Rice County precincts.
Voting absentee by mail
Rice County Government Services Center
320 NW Third Street
Faribault, MN 55021
507-332-6104 or 507-645-9576
Additional Information can be obtained from Rice County Elections.
Dakota County Administration Center
1590 Highway 55
Hastings, MN 55033-2343
Additional Information can be obtained from Dakota County Elections.
Returning your absentee ballot
Options for returning your ballot
- All mailed absentee ballots are sent from and processed by the county you live in (Rice or Dakota). The ballots come with a self-addressed, postage-paid envelope and instructions for completing and returning ballots. Voters can choose to return ballots via package delivery service (such as FedEx or UPS) to the County that sent the ballot, at the voter’s expense so that the ballot would arrive by Election Day.
- Ballots may be dropped off at the Absentee Voting Office at Northfield City Hall (2nd floor training room) through Monday, August 8 (primary election) or Monday, November 7 (general election) no later than 4:45 p.m. Ballots cannot be dropped off in any other office at City Hall. Please note that there is not a drop box for ballots at Northfield City Hall. Ballots need to be returned to the county (Rice or Dakota) from which they were sent. Staff will deliver to the appropriate county if dropped off in the Absentee Voting Office no later than 4:45 p.m. on Monday, August 8 (primary election) or Monday, November 7 (general election). Staff recommends returning as soon as possible. There will be long lines, please plan accordingly.
- If you are returning ballots other than your own, you will be required to complete a delivery log, which includes showing your ID, providing your name, address and signature and the name and address of the voter(s) you are returning ballots for. An individual cannot be an agent of more than three voters in an election.
- Ballots may be dropped off at the County Elections Office that sent them to you, Rice County Government Services Building in Faribault or Dakota County Administration Center in Hastings until 3 p.m. on Election Day. Both have drop boxes:
- Rice County Government Services Building, 320 Third Street NW, Faribault.
- Dakota County Administration Center, 1590 Highway 55, Hastings
- Absentee ballots cannot be dropped off at Northfield City Hall or at any polling location on Election Day.
Agent delivery - returning ballots for others
Agent delivery is available through 2 p.m. on Election Day for Northfield City residents.
- In special situations, voters may ask an agent to pick up and return an absentee ballot for them. There are a list of reasons that would qualify a voter for use of agent delivery. These include being sick, having recent close contact with a person with COVID-19, having tested positive for COVID-19, and/or are within a quarantine period. All of these reasons would qualify under the “unable to go to the polling place due to incapacitating health reasons or disability”.
- An individual cannot be an agent of more than three voters in an election.
- Your agent must be at least 18 years old, have a pre-existing relationship with you and cannot be a candidate.
- The agent must show identification with their name, address and signature when returning a ballot.
- Give your agent a completed absentee ballot application and a request for agent delivery of absentee ballot form. Have your agent take both forms to the local election office (Northfield City Hall Absentee Voting Office for City residents) to receive your ballot.
- Please note that your agent can pick up your ballot starting seven days before the election until 2 p.m. on Election Day (August 9 - Primary and November 8 - General) at Northfield City Hall in the Absentee Voting Room. The agent must bring the completed absentee ballot application and a request for agent delivery form noted above.
- Your agent must return your ballot no later than 3 p.m. on Election Day. If returning a ballot on Election Day (November 3), it must be returned to Rice County Elections, 320 Third Street NW in Faribault or Dakota County Administration Center in Hastings no later than 3 p.m.
- You cannot return a ballot to the polls or to Northfield City Hall on Election Day.
Tracking the status of your absentee ballot
You can track the status of your absentee ballot throughout the process on the Secretary of State’s website:
Military / overseas absentee voting
Voters in the military and citizens living outside the United States use a different process to vote absentee. Voters serving in the military or those outside of the U.S. should visit the state’s Military and Overseas Voter Service to complete your absentee ballot request.
Return to the Elections & Voter Information home page for additional election information.