Park & Recreation Advisory Board
Pictured left to right: Melissa Bernhard, Cora McBroom, Neil Lutsky, Adam Olson, Benjamin Playter, Peder Jothen,
Rebecca Peterson, and Tim Behrendt
Not Pictured: Sebastian Burset, Nathan Knutson, Stacy Longwich Kleis, and Emma Waldemar
First Monday of every month starting on Monday, October 3rd, 2022 at 6:00 pm in the Council Chambers at City Hall.
September 15th, 2022
Northfield Police Department - Training Room - 1st Floor
1615 Riverview Drive, Northfield, MN 55057
Agendas and minutes
|Sebastian Burset||Member||December 31, 2024|
|Peder Jothen||Member||December 31, 2022|
|Nathan Knutson||Member||December 31, 2022|
|Stacy Longwich Kleis||Member||December 31, 2024|
|Neil Lutsky||Member||December 31, 2022|
|Rebecca Peterson||Vice-Chair||December 31, 2023|
|Ben Playter||Chair||December 31, 2023|
|Adam Olson||Non-voting Member||December 31, 2022|
|Cora McBroom||Youth Representative (non-voting member)||2022-2023 school year|
|Emma Waldemar||Youth Representative (voting member)||2022-2023 school year|
Contacting the commission
If you have questions or comments, you can email the commission. Each member will receive your email. When replying to your email, a commission member cannot reply to all members, only to you. This avoids violating the open meeting law.
For general information about the board, please contact a staff liaison. Also, if you have questions or comments for the board, contact a staff liaison and they will assist.
|Tim Behrendt||Street & Parks Manager||507-645-3027|
|Alisha Hayes||Administrative Associate||507-645-3045|
The City of Northfield Park and Recreation Advisory Board (PRAB) directly advises staff and officials regarding the public parks system and all public recreational facilities in the City of Northfield. PRAB assists with long-range planning for land acquisition for parks, natural areas and trails, as well as detailed plans for park development and use and recreational facilities.
- Full court basketball court installed at Way Park
- Walking/biking path build through the woods at Oddfellows Park
- Aurora Pharmaceutical made a donation and constructed a seating area adjacent to the East Cannon River Trail
- Upgrade/ADA compliant bathrooms at Oddfellows Park
- Construction of new pickleball courts at Riverside/Lions Park
- Northfield Park and Recreation Capital Investment Plan
In 2020, we faced unprecedented opposition in our community due to the response of a global pandemic. Many recreation activities were affected and due to closures of programming we observed numerous associations and community members suffer extensive cancellations throughout the year.
- Riverside/Lions Park: completed the street project of the turnaround and opened the canoe/kayak takeout; in 2021 we will see the pickle ball courts reconstructed
- River corridor: delivered an action plan which our city council reviewed and adopted after being presented by the Riverfront Enhancement Advisory Committee, which included Ames Park, Babcock Park, Riverside/Lion Park, and Sechler Park
- Odd Fellows Park: slated to have ADA-complaint restrooms constructed in 2021 as part of the assessed needs of our ongoing park infrastructure improvements
- Way Park: additional concepts and planning for a Northfield Hospital memorial have been in the works and will likely be realized in 2021
- Maintenance: collaboration between the department and community associations support marquee parks like Babcock Park, Sechler Park, and Spring Creek which offer expansive sporting venues and future development opportunities
The board consists of seven members appointed by the mayor and approved by the City Council. Members serve staggered three-year terms. Members do not receive monetary compensation.
You can apply to more than one board, commission or task force.
Applications are also available at:
801 Washington Street
Northfield, MN 55057
Northfield Public Library
210 Washington Street
Northfield, MN 55057